Attention Spinners! Team WEBS Tour de Fleece 2015 registration is now open! If you’ve never heard of the Tour de Fleece, it’s a Ravelry spin-along that shadows the Tour de France bike race during the month of July. This is not a competition! It’s a chance to come together with other spinners, set personal challenges for yourself but, most importantly, have fun. If you don’t have a consistent spinning habit, the Tour is a great incentive to spin on a regular basis for a month. You’re welcome to use wheels and/or spindles and there will be prizes at the end of the Tour. If you’d like to join us, please pop over to the All Things WEBS group on Ravelry and let us know you’re participating by this Friday, July 3.
Here are some guidelines, not rules, for those of you just joining in this year – and a refresher for returning spinners:
- Try to spin every day that the Tour is riding, July 4-26. There are days of rest, July 13th and 21st, so feel free to take those days off.
- There are challenge days, when the riders are climbing. Give yourself a challenge on those days by spinning a new fiber or try a new spinning style, but save your biggest challenges for the second climbing stage, like when they tackle Alpe d’Huez on July 25th – seriously LOOK at the climb up that mountain! See the full route here.
- Climbing stages 10 -12 from July 14, to 16
- Climbing stages 17-20 from July 22, to 25
- Celebrate as you go with the colors you wear.
- Wear Green: green is for sprinters, if you’ve been spinning FAST this color is for you!
- Wear Polka-dots: dots are for climbing so break them out whenever you’re taking on a challenge!
- Wear White: white is for rookies so this is the color for you if this is your first Tour!
- Wear Yellow: the leaders wear the Maillot jaune, or Yellow Jersey, following each stage of the race, so wear it whenever you feel particularly successful. And be sure to wear it on July 26th to announce your victory in completing the Tour!
The Tour runs Saturday July 4th through Sunday July 26th, this year. And don’t worry about how much you have to do to participate! There is no minimum, or maximum amount of fiber you need to spin through. You don’t have to spin every day and you don’t even have to measure what you DO spin. The whole idea is just to get you spinning and to have fun with it! However we will be announcing some prizes on July 1st and there will be specific minimums or types of fibers and yarns you’ll need to spin to win. Keep an eye on the Ravelry group for specifics!
I’ll be spinning from my stash which includes Hello Yarn club fiber, some Spunky Eclectic fiber, some great stuff from Into the Whirled, and maybe something from Abstract Fibers or Frabjous Fibers! What will you be spinning and what will you challenge yourself with?
Latest posts by Sara (see all)
- Ready, Set, Knit! 474: Kathy talks with Andra Asars - January 28, 2017
- Ready, Set, Knit! 473: Kathy talks with Maura Pfeifer - January 21, 2017
- New Designs in Valley Yarns Colrain! - January 20, 2017