1. Steve was on jury duty from last Wednesday until Tuesday of this week. It was a very difficult deliberation with an outcome he is not happy about. He did his civic duty and did it well. For me though, let me just say, it’s not easy being Steve. Despite the fact that we work together, live together and spend A Lot of time together, there are things that we don’t talk about, things he’s doing or working on that I don’t necessarily know about. Normally this is not an issue – I trust Steve has his responsibilities under control as he does with me. It does become a problem when Steve is suddenly, unexpectedly unavailable for 8 hours per day for 5 days.
2. I spent five hours here at home on Friday afternoon waiting for the “Geek Squad” to come an install Steve’s Hanukkah surprise. I waited and waited and waited and waited. Go ahead, guess what happend. They didn’t show. I was beside myself. I couldn’t even be angry I was so upset. Steve is impossible to buy for and I rarely get to surprise him. The kids were totally in on this and we had all pinky-swore not to spill the beans. They held up their end of the deal, as did I. We were sneaky, we were stealth. He had no idea. It was the perfect plan – I even had a big bow already to adorn said installed gift. Instead, three said faces showed Steve the box, with the gift in it, uninstalled. Needless to say it went back the next day and never again shall I shop at Best Buy. I’ll spare you all the gorey details – all I know is that we treated our customers the way I was treated, you would all refuse to shop with us again too. I went to another store purchased a replacement gift, had the electrician here this morning (our own electrician this time – he is definitely NOT a geek). We take the gift out of the box, we are all excited and then as Steve is admiring the bells and whistles, we realize that something is missing. We realize – THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG ITEM. I paid for item X and they gave me item Y and item X has more features than item Y. Next year he’s getting underwear for Hanukkah.
3. Jackson’s “possibly” broken finger turns out to be broken with a “displaced chip”. We went from the pediatrician, to the hospital for x-rays and then onto an orthopedic for an evaluation. All turned out well in the end, but as the ped was explaining that “if” it was chipped and “if” it was displaced, it could result in his finger growing strangely without further “treatment” (he never said the “S” word, but it was screaming in my head) all I could think of was that we had waited five days to have it looked at and what terrible parents we were. Again, all is well. The chip is already healing. The only downside – no hockey until after New Year’s.
4. Tuesday evening – 3am – Jonathan comes into our room crying, saying his belly is upset. I said “do you think you’re going to throw up” and he says “yes”. As I start to tell him to get to the bathroom he instead decides our bedroom floor is a better option. I’ll spare you the details, but trust me when I say this was not a good situation. Two days at home with “barf boy” was not on this week’s schedule.
5. There is a very big snow storm currently hitting us. Jonathan was already home sick as mentioned above, so the timing was actually pretty good for this one. It’s actually quite beautiful outside right now.
6. Unfortunately, the next storm is not nearly timed as well. It is scheduled to hit here Saturday night into Sunday and is expected to be an even stronger storm than we are experiencing today. This is a major problem, because we were scheduled to have Melissa Morgan-Oakes HUGE launch party for her book this Sunday. WE HAVE CHANGED THE DATE!! If you are registered or thinking about coming – DO NOT COME ON SUNDAY! The new date is this SATURDAY 12/15 from 1-3pm. This should get everyone on the road and home safely long before the first flake floats down. Melissa will be there, the book will be there, yummy food and beverages will be available. Super special giveaways will be up for grabs! Plus, you know you need a project to work on during the snowstorm on Sunday! Don’t let Melissa down – this is her first book! I’m expecting to see you all Saturday – this Saturday at 1pm!!
On the knitting front, I can’t say much since the projects are gifts and I’m not sure if the recipients tune in here regularly. Here’s a couple of sneak peeks:
(NOTE – Both of these pictures came out terribly. Especially the first one which is a to-die-for beautiful yarn.)
The time at home also gave me the chance to accomplish this:
I’ll leave you with this:
Coming out of the hospital this week, Jackson was mesmerized by the beauty of this tree. Gotta love that kid.
P.S. Blogger will not let me upload my pictures. This is so perfect. . .
P.P.S. Blogger has now decided to cooperate