August 7th, 2008
We are wrapping up our week here at the Cape and it has been a great vacation. The trip has not been the reason I haven’t blogged. The blog was locked down by Blogger late last week. Their software identified a bunch of blogs as potential “spammers”. It was fixed within a day or so, but I didn’t realize this. It was posted here on “Blogger Buzz”, but I was waiting for an email response to my request for a “review” of my blog. Oh well, we are on vacation after all so it’s not as if I would have been posting everyday.
Unfortunately, I am now late to the party with a few important happenings and such.
1. Last Friday, the much anticipated Twist Collective went live. Twist Collective is a new on-line magazine that was developed by Kate Gilbert and a trio of very talented friends. The premise was to bring together talented designers and writers and provide them with not only a platform for their work, but also provide them with more flexibility with usage of their work. I interviewed Kate on Ready, Set, Knit, last week and we had a great conversation about her new venture. Overall, I love Twist Collective. I think the format is fresh, the designs are terrific and the content is well done. Twist Collective will be published quarterly and will have smaller updates in between. If you haven’t already checked it out, you should take a few minutes to do so.
2. On Monday, another new on-line knitting magazine went live – Knotions.com, published by Jody Pirello. Jody’s take is all about knitting smarter. She has made the patterns printer friendly, charts that are clickable and easy to enlarge. She offers technique tutorials along with interesting articles. I especially liked the Fall ’08 color trends story. Jody will be our guest on this week’s podcast, so be sure to check that out on Saturday, 8/9!
3. WEBS’ August Sale is in full swing! Amazing savings on yarns for knitters and weavers!
4. Stitches Midwest is only two weeks away! The show will be held at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center in Schaumburg, IL. This is a new location for the show and we are pretty excited about it! Not that we didn’t like Rosemont, but in Schaumburg, the convention center only hosts one event at a time plus the facility is pretty new, so it should be a lovely knitting extravaganza! We will be there in booths 513-618 with all of our Valley Yarns, Berroco, including all of the new fall yarns, pattern books and many, many, many of the actual model garments for you to see! Plus, we’ll have some other fabulous yarns along with some great closeout deals. If you are planning to come to the show be sure to stop by!
5. I forgot to mention that WEBS Beads is participating in our August Sale as well! They will be having weekly specials throughout August. If you live in the area or plan to be during August, be sure to stop by and see what they’ve got on special! This week we’re offering 15% off all findings and stringing materials. Savings in-store only!
6. Our Fall Class Schedule is posted on-line! We have an incredible selection of classes for knitters, crocheters, weavers, spinners, dyers and more! We’ve got some great guest teachers coming as well. Clara Parkes, Kristen Nicholas, Susanna Hansson and Galina Khmeleva will all be at WEBS this fall! What is sure to be “the” event of the season happens on September 17th, when Norah Gaughan returns to WEBS! This is a rare chance to spend time with Norah, discuss the new fall yarns and designs with her, learn how they came to be and try on all of the amazing garments! Be sure to check out all of the classes and events and get yourself signed up!
7. I am working hard on the Staghorn Cable Tunic, which is our current KAL on Ready, Set, Knit!. I am a slow knitter, but I am loving this pattern and the entire design in general. It really is not difficult at all, which is why it’s a perfect summer project. Yes, it’s working with wool, but it’s really not that bad to work with, even in the heat. It’s going to be a great layering piece all fall and winter long. Speaking of Valley Yarns patterns, all of our new fall patterns that will be featured in the next catalog, are already up on-line!
Well, I think that covers everything! Back to vacation!
Tags: Knotions, Stitches East, Twist Collective